Helping industry across Scotland to capitalise on a growing market opportunity in data science
The Data Lab enables industry, the public sector and world-class academics to innovate and develop new data science capabilities in a collaborative environment. The Data Labs core mission is to generate significant economic, social and scientific value from data for Scotland.
Big data represents a huge growth opportunity with 90% of all the data in the world created in the past two years. Companies that use ‘big data’ are five times as likely to make decisions faster than market peers; and organisations using advanced data are twice as likely to be sector leaders. We estimate there is £17 billion of new revenue opportunity within Scotland alone for new data solutions and we can help your organisation benefit from these opportunities.
Areas of focus
The Data Lab is unique by working across all sectors.
With hubs in Aberdeen, Edinburgh and Glasgow, The Data Lab is focused on building relationships locally and delivering a range of activities that span three key areas:
- Collaborative innovation – with a focus on strengthening Scotland’s industry and transferring world-leading research from Scotland’s universities, The Data Lab will help develop and support a series of industry-led collaborative innovation projects
- Community building – connecting world-leading researchers and data scientists with industry and public sector organisations, giving them access to experts through sandpit and workshop events, data science conferences and guest lectures
- Skills and training – working with industry to create a pipeline of talented data scientists, equipped with the relevant skills through The Data Lab MSc programme, PhD funding, placements and secondments, online learning and Continued Professional Development
Connect with experts
Backed by £11.3 million of public investment, The Data Lab Team expert team will actively kick-start, fund and deliver collaborative innovation projects, develop data science talent, and bring the data science community together in Scotland.
- For businesses, The Data Lab can help you to engage with academia, whether for a quick-start funded project or longer term research programmes
- For academics or researchers, The Data Lab can help you promote your university’s research capabilities and match them with a business or public service organisation so they can use data science skills and experience to bring joint ideas to fruition
- For public sector organisations, The Data Lab can help you to explore partnerships with business and academia to promote the use of data science to improve service delivery. Or if your organisation is making ‘open data’ available, they can help you share what you are doing with business and academia
SMS-IC (Stratified Medicine Scotland Innovation Centre)
CENSIS (Centre for Sensor and Imaging Systems )